Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Office 2008 12.1.1 update

It looks like the boys down at Microsoft's MBU may have addressed the maddening bug that I mentioned in Lisa's blog, Nocerosity. The bug's description is pretty vague, but one can hope.

Spaces between words are preserved.
This update fixes an issue that causes spaces between words to be lost when you open a document that was created in or saved by Word 2008 for Mac or by Microsoft Office Word 2007.


This cropped up when the boss and I were passing a Word document back and forth between Word 2008 and Word 2007. I got the revised manuscript back and random paragraphs had been marked as German and lots of spaces were missing. Not every paragraph was affected and none of the contractions made sense, even in German. Most of the errors were numbers being contracted with words, even when separated by punctuation. For example "J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006" was changed to "J. Am. Chem. Soc.2006". However, the contraction didn't always occur under the same circumstances. Also, the spelling and grammar checking didn't flag the errors so it could easily have gone undetected if I didn't proof read it again. The error also affected the cover letter that he wrote on his own computer.

As if that wasn't bad enough, all of this was after Office 2008 Service Pack 1 caused Word to crash every time I opened the manuscript. The solution to that was to open the document in Office 2007 and re-save it. This sort of file corruption shenanigans has persuaded me to write my thesis in LaTeX.

In the mean time, I'd like to know why I get this error when I try to paste an image from Word to PowerPoint.

No comments: