Monday, June 23, 2008

First post!

Not too long ago, it dawned upon me that I was, quite possibly, the last person on the Earth that didn't have one of these fancy new Internet web logs. I said to myself, "Dave, if children, dogs and viral marketing campaigns all have their own blogs, why don't you?" It seemed like a sound argument, so I set to work on the most important part of any Internet endeavor: a good name. I considered Web 2.0 names like Daveulator, Dave-O-Matic and Dave.info, but they just weren't catchy enough. So I did what all great writers do and tried to borrow an idea. My first thought was of Robert Boyle's seminal text, The Sceptical Chymist. I am both a chemist and skeptical so I thought it would be an excellent choice. However, that name was already taken and I though that the full title, The Sceptical Chymist or Chymico-Physical Doubts & Paradoxes, would make for a very long URL. Then it dawned upon me that whereas Robert Boyle is a very old, dead chymist, I am a modern chemist and I should, therefore, use a more modern spelling. Thus, I arrived at the title you see today.

As you might have guessed by now, I have no thoughts of merit to post. Nor do I have any plans for this web log's future scope or direction. Oops.

Finally, I swear that this will be only time that I ever sully the internet with the words, "first post." However, it seemed appropriate in this context. I can't make the same promise about other Internet memes which may infect me at some future date.

No comments: